In Church Unique, Will Mancini observes,
“Collaboration is lost to sideways energy every day in the local church. Why? The three reasons I see most are mistrust, personal ego, and lack of strategic clarity…Leaders rarely clarify what working together really looks like.”
I am so proud of our team this year, because we decided to take action and create a team covenant to help us be clear on what matters most to us.
- We will extend grace to each other.
- We will honor up, down and all around.
- We will follow through with our commitments.
- We will agree to encourage, support and invest in each other personally and professionally.
- We will hold and respect all confidences.
- We will have honest and open discussion within the room and solidarity outside the room.
- We will go all-out to help each other win.
- Silence is agreement.
- We will have fun both on and off campus.
- We will show up on time and be prepared.
- No email or social media during meetings (except during breaks).
- Communicate often (e. personal, email, phone) and constantly ask “who needs to know.”
- We will fight for unity.
- We will pursue excellence and reject complacency.
- We will pray for each other and with each other.
Will Mancini, Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2008), 54.